Joseph Dickson is a web developer in higher education and an advocate of using WordPress’ core features to create flexible and manageable websites.
Simplified the updating process for a 250+ directory using Custom Post Types & Custom Fields.
Using WordPress Multisite I’ve created an alert banner that appears on nearly every page within Pitzer College’s website linking to a page built for the latest news and resources.
WordPress Website Customization
Using features built into WordPress core I created custom post types and child themes to display specialized content such as slide carousels, featured widgets, calendar events and promotional elements. This allows WordPress users to quickly and easily update content without learning a new workflows.
Performance & Optimization
I routinely audit my websites to take advantage of opportunities and conflicts. Techniques include research into frameworks such as WP Rig, AMP, as well specialized third party plugins.
- Web Developer at Pomona College | 2021 to Current
- Web Developer at Pitzer College | 2009 to 2021
- Online Editor at Long Beach Press Telegram | 2005 to 2009
- Online Content Producer at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin | 2002 to 2005
- Bachelor of Arts in Art from California Polytechnic University, Pomona, 2001
- Volunteer at WordCamp Los Angeles 2020
- Speaker at WordCamp Santa Clarita 2020 | Video | Slides
- WP Query Presentation at Developer Meetup IEWP, March 2020
- Organizer at WordCamp Riverside 2019
- Speaker at WordCamp Santa Clarita 2019
- Speaker at WordCamp Los Angeles 2018
- Organizer at WordCamp Riverside 2018
- Speaker at WordCamp Riverside 2017
- WP Query Presentation at Advanced IEWP
- Conditional Tags Presentation at Advanced IEWP
- Volunteer Member of the Make WordPress Marketing Team
- Volunteer at WordCamp Orange County 2017 & 2018